Do you remember my previous post about the winter jackets? I suggested investing in neutral colors. I still think this is the best option, however if you can afford more than one high quality winter jacket, think about white! White is so awesome! I know, I know, not very practical if you have to commit to work on a daily basis, but other than that it is so chic!
Believe me or not, winters in Switzerland can be long and quite cold especially in the mountains. Since I am a thermophilic person I decided to invest in a long doudoune Moncler few years ago. Today I can tell you that this was the best investment in my wardrobe ever! Before the purchase, I did a solid research because I wanted to buy a jacket that will keep me warm and serve me well a couple of years.
Here is a mini-guideline for everybody, who wants to invest in a good winter jacket:
1. Choose the right filling for your needs.
Ducks’ or geese’ feathers or down is almost a standard. Fluff is a soft and fine bird feathers and it has a very good thermal insulation properties. While feathers are the feathers of a bird with fluff. They are heavier and their thermal insulation properties are a bit worse.
Polyester fibers – they are soft, light, dries much faster, are non-allergenic and resistant to mold. However polyester fibers are not as good thermal isolator as down or feathers.
2. Cut is important
The best known is parka – military style. Great for the weekends and if you have a casual style.
Puffy Coat – I find this fashion not only the most practical but also the most chic. Works very well with dresses and the trousers. Depending on how you accessorize your outfit, you can easily get the classy, casual or sportive look.
3. Color makes a difference
Since this is a quite an investment therefore stick to the neutral colors like black, navy blue, taupe, beige, grey etc. Neutrals work well with almost all colors and you will not get stuck in the dry cleaner every month.
4. Right size is critical
Trying the jacket once you are wearing a blazer is a very good idea. Make sure the jacket fits well on the shoulders and on the hips. The frequent mistake is to buy a jacket too tight on the hips – the result is always the same: the jacket will pull up itself to the top. Not chic at all!
5. Credible brands specialized in this type of garment: Moncler, Peek Performance, Canada Goose, Victorinox
Hope it helps!
Some of you may already know that I am not a trend follower. I prefer invest in timeless classy pieces than in something that will be out of fashion in next few months.
However if I really like a trend and I think it may become a classic or I want to twist my outfit, I buy 1 or 2 trendy pieces. I never spend too much money on it though. Depending on the item, I find a quality of Zara good enough for my needs. Lower quality can ruin your classy look; too expensive piece can ruin your wallet.
Metallic fabric is one of this season’s trend. It is funny yet dangerous trend, because it is very easy to overdo it and end up looking tacky instead of classy. So today I would like to give you few tips how to wear the shiny fabrics in a classy way.
First of all, yes you guessed, less is more. Choose only one metallic item and keep the rest of your attire neutral.
Second of all, keep metallic wardrobe pieces simple and understated.
Third of all, for work choose the fabrics with metallic yarns woven in them rather the shiny ones. They will look much more elegant and less flashy.
Last but not least (advice for girls with skin condition but not only): metallic fabrics reflect the light so I do not recommend to wear them close to your face, because they will highlight any imperfection of your face, therefore rather choose skirt than top.
If you want to buy something timeless yet trendy, I suggest you to buy a pair of nice shiny ballerina flats/pumps or a handbag. With these items you easily upgrade your everyday look and the return on the investment will be much faster. And remember, sharing is caring, so share with me how you shine.
I love the sweater dresses! They are cozy, cute, and very versatile! Depending on how you style them, you can wear them everywhere, even to work.
It took me a while to learn how to wear them. However you can save some time! Just learn from my experience and get it right from the very beginning.
Few tips to remember when you wear a sweater dress:
1. Choose the right cut to streamline your silhouette. The V-neck or cowl neck are the most flattering once.
2. Stick to the above-the-knee length if you want to look lean.
3. Plain sweater dresses are more classy and give more room for creativity.
4. To get more classy look, choose the thinner fabric.
5. Wear them with platform shoes or boots.
Now girl, let’s get crazy!
Do you know why I love so much a minimalist style ? Because it is a quintessence of sublime simplicity. As most of designers I live the golden rule LESS is MORE. I believe the more minimalistic attire is, the more modern and classy look you get. However do not get misled: it’s quite a big job to get this well coordinated look .
Try to resist the urge to fill the empty space. Not easy, isn’t it? General rule? Keep the overal look clean and neat, stick to simple and timeless cuts, limit the colors, and you will see the final result will exceed your wildest expectations.
This is it! The Autumn/Winter season has started (at least in Switzerland). It’s time to prepare the coats and winter jackets, boots, gloves and hats.
The good news is that you can be chic even if you wear multiple layers. It is all about proportions!
If you wear blazer under the coat, try to choose the looser version of coat so you do not look like a rugby player. If you wear wider pants, make sure to tuck the top inside the pants and underline your waist with a belt. The big sweaters wear with skinny trousers; tighter pullovers combine with straight or boot-cut jeans and crispy white shirt.
Accessorize! Big, long, “heavy” necklaces feel great in a company of big sweaters.
Do not be afraid also to use the color. I noticed that as soon as winter comes, the streets become sad, depressing, all you see are people in black or grey outfits.
Make sure you add some color to your attire. It can be little colorful scarf fancifully tied, a necklace/ring/earrings in an intensive color, or a handbag that grabs the attention. Do not resign from your favorite colors no matter the season or weather is.
It’s getting chilly outside. This is a sign that it’s high time to stock up cozy pull-overs. For the people with AD this can be quite a challenge because most of them do not support wool. I am one of them. Unfortunately the cotton pull-overs not always are a good solution, as they do not warm me up enough. Thanks God we have cashmere! It is true that it is quite pricy solution but believe me, it is worth the money! Just make sure you invest in a high quality cashmere from the very beginning so you can enjoy it lifetime. When it comes to buy a casmere sweater, follow few rules:
1. Always invest in 100% cashmere. A pure cashmere garment will be thinner, warmer, and more worth the money you spent. The Federal Trade Commission mandates that cashmere products be accurately labeled. Only pure cashmere sweaters can be labeled “100 Percent Cashmere.” If the sweater is a blend, the manufacturer is required to state the percentage of cashmere and the percentage of other fibers. If you don’t see a tag indicating the fiber content, let it go.
2. Look for items with 2-ply yarn rather than a single strand. This ultimately means more warmth and a stronger sweater that is less likely to pop a hole, and prevents pilling.
3. Get touchy-feely with your cashmere. Quality cashmere will bounce back from your touch and will neither pill nor wrinkle. It is also good to rub the fabric against your neck or under your chin — both sensitive skin spots. Although cashmere gets softer over time, if the fabric is itchy to start, it will continue to irritate your skin as you wear it.
4. Look for a tight knit.The looser the cashmere is woven or knitted, the more suspicious you need to be.
5. When it comes to cashmere, quality is queen. Buy from designers who specialize in cashmere or shop at large department stores that test their merchandise for quality.
6. Clean with care at the reputable dry cleaner.